PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aberdeen delay question
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2010, 07:27
Woolf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Training Centre:

Not sure how you can depart 16 from E4 - E4 being the holding point on the E taxiway leading up to H23 and the BMI hangar? In any case as has been mentioned the required take-off distances depend on aircraft type as well as procedures (some operators allow Class 2 procedures within their ops manual).

Also having operated on both the east and west side for a good number of years I am slightly surprised at what appears to be a bit of a grievance towards the east side operator by ABZ ATC for not being expeditions enough in clearing the runway?

As posted above, clearing down 18 or 32 is expeditious as it leaves plenty of distance to wash off speed and the aircraft can land behind the holding point to save time (you can even run it on across the holding point).

In contrast, to vacate at E2 or E3 a full 90+ degree turn is required. Regardless of whether the aircraft vacates in the hover or not it almost needs to come to a full stop to complete the landing profile before starting a turn. Dependant on aircraft type and wind conditions a crosswind hover can be too uncomfortable for passenger flights (or out of limits) and the aircraft needs to land on the runway. I’ve experienced a good number of approaches where pilots (both current and previous east side operators) tried to expeditiously fly round the corner towards E2 or E3 at speed which more often than not ended up in an uncomfortable situation.

I agree for an inexperienced pilot the above might take slightly longer but then the time is required and I will not compromise the safety of the aircraft. I will however always be as expeditious as possible under the circumstances and if I perceive an expeditious vacation? of the runway is required (we can usually tell by the voice) I have the option to take control of the aircraft if I think this will help matters.

Bottom line is that for an east side aircraft vacating at E2/E3 (regardless of operator) the time from crossing the threshold to vacating the runway will be longer in comparison to an aircraft vacating down 18 or 32. It would be an interesting experiment to give west side helicopters clearance to land 16 but vacate through the 23 instead of the 32 intersection, you would probably see a marked.

Finally I firmly believe we all (pilots and ATC) try to be as professional and expeditious as possible within the rules and regulations we are given and judging by radio calls this attracts mutual appreciation. However I would challenge the view that crews deliberately take their time when manoeuvring at the airport or that they lack the required skills. Communication is certainly key and as suggested we probably need more.

Last edited by Woolf; 26th Feb 2010 at 07:29. Reason: Typo