PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk VI
Old 25th Feb 2010, 20:38
Caribbean Boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My feeling is that the negotiations are now about things such allowances and the disruption agreement, but not about reinstating crew numbers. As I posted a little while ago, the judge agreed with the working of one down and, like it or not, it's here to stay.

I also feel that WW is in a very strong position, given the court victories, the extensive contingency planning for disruption and the reluctance of crew to strike. Yes, they voted to strike as it's easy to put an X on a ballot form, but we all know that only a fraction of them will genuinely withhold their labour as throwing sickies will not be an option this time.

So, WW will get his cost savings and, if he is smart, he will give Unite a lengthy list of concessions. None of these fundamentally undermine the cost reductions which BA badly needs, but will enable Unite to save face and start to build some bridges between BA and CC.

The alternative is that Unite refuses to play ball. In that scenario, they can call a strike but it will be defeated. Unite really has no option but to go for a negotiated settlement.