PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk VI
Old 25th Feb 2010, 15:18
Beagle9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Midman, sadly your speculation is probably correct. As a crewmember myself I am frequently having to correct other crews' misunderstanding on what's proposed. Many crew automatically ignore/delete/bin communication from BA as a matter of course (I've been told this openly). They will only read Union communications.

Confusion over the Fixed Monthly Payment is a prime example. The facts are:

It replaces NON MEAL allowances, so is taxed no differently to now.

Meal allowances, paid exactly the same as now will still be paid in addition to the FMP.

There's no direct financial advantage to the company in offering it in itself (the same total amount paid in NON MEAL allowances to the crew community will be paid out in total FMP payments - at '08/09' rates). The Company have clearly stated this in several communications. The reason the company are offering it is solely to reassure crew/counter union claims that New Fleet will leave them worse off financially.

The only reason I know the facts so well, is that unlike many crew, I don't just have a tendency to suspect "spin" in communication from the Company, but from ANY party with a vested interest, including the union.

Therefore I read ALL communications VERY THOROUGHLY, and question any element that is unclear, or open to various interpretations.

The spin/misinformation/inaccuracy score , I'm afraid, very much finds the union the guilty party.

No wonder crew still come out with statements like "I'll be left sitting at home starved of work" (Hardly to BA's financial advantage if you think about it!) and "BA are going to slash my pay".