PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk VI
Old 24th Feb 2010, 15:23
binsleepen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Madness, bonkers, crazy, insane.

They have an industrial agreement to have a 2 1/2 hour minimum turnaround at main base (LHR). This goes back to the days of long coach journeys to canteens to ensure a hot meal could be taken during a day. On those occasions when not enough time was available to get to the canteen outside the perimeter of Heathrow, a CAT (Central Area Turnaround) payment was paid - though the 'CAT Lounge' (situated airside in T1) was a fully functioning cafe/TV lounge in its own right.... The CAT payments are still made for 'short' (<2.5hr though never less than 90 mins I think) turnarounds despite crew never needing to leave T5
My wife is a neonatal intensive care nurse and does a 12 1/2 hour shift but is only paid for 11 1/2 hours as 1/2 hour lunch and 2 breaks are on her own time. For lunch she brings in food from home as there are no on site facilities particularly at night. Different jobs with different terms I accept that but this is reality for many still lucky enough to have a job. I suspect most UK airlines don't have these goldplated or even solid 24 k gold extra payments.

If I were BA I would go after these as recompense for the millions lost through threats/ actual strikes.

Regards