PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - KLM 737 @t EHAM & Aeroflot 737 @ ENGM taxiway take-off
Old 24th Feb 2010, 06:54
Admiral346

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
more serious

Yes, Lufthansa's fleet is equipped with RAAS - and even as many of us hate "Bitchin' Betty" (the female voice) babbling into a clearance, so one has to inquire with a "confirm cleared line-up?", it sure has found it's way into my scan when approaching a RWY. Or more so, it not being there, when expecting to hear it - kind of like the OM tone when the blue light is flashing and some collegue has turned off the volume.
So I am not sure, if it would keep me from initiating take off on a taxiway, the help you get from it is rather subconscious, but exceeding 40 kts you get a "On taxiway, on taxiway", loud, not to be missed and not heard during everyday ops (except for taking the Q-bridge at AMS and forgetting to close the throttles when going back down the other side of it...). That should tear everyone from their cosy dreamlike state when doing something completely routine.
On the other hand, the standard reply by pilots to a terrain warning is "That can't be!". Of course noone manouvers towards a warning like that consciously, and believing it being valid takes tearing down the entire mental picture of your situation, a very hard thing to do as it leaves you lost in space and time and requires reconstruction of situational awareness in mid flight - resulting in utter confusion.

Then it has helped keep my taxispeed below 40 kts, at least...

Nic