PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk VI
Old 23rd Feb 2010, 15:27
Diplome

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Litebulbs:

Unfortunately, I believe the answer by BA is going to be "No" regarding any reduction in the savings targets.

I could be wrong, and please feel free to correct me, but I believe part of the reason for any "return to profitability" included savings from the Crew Reduction. Walsh has already stated that its implementation has been successful, voluntary staff reduction has already occurred. I can't see that being reversed.

Also, if BA lets Cabin Crew off the hook for savings then management risks alienating all of those divisions who have, in good faith, negotiated amendments to produce savings for the company.

Also, one quarter does not a healthy airline make...especially when they are still dealing with a significant pension underfund.

BASSA is in the difficult position right now on trying to negotiate a win on the basis of an imposition that was really not worth the reaction the unions gave it. It presents a difficulty for both parties. Perhaps on those few flights where they are working two down its reduced to one...I don't know. BA doesn't have much "give" area in this situation but BASSA desperately needs something so that they don't go back to their membership with a great big "Oh never mind".