PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk VI
Old 23rd Feb 2010, 14:56
Ancient Observer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
An alternative view

I would like to put an alternative view to many on this thread. I've been a "student" of employee relations for 35 years. Some times, I've been an active participant - dating from merseyside in the mid-70s.
Virtually no ballot of members about strike action has yielded the numbers that BA CC have given to their leaders. Even in the Thatcher/Scargill strike, there wasn't actually a vote - Scargill refused to have one as he was worried that he might not "win" the vote.

The vote for Industrial action by BA CC can therefore be seen as unprecedented - one of the biggest votes ever for Industrial Action. I've read all the posters attempts to re-write the numbers, but 80% in favour on an 80% turnover is very solid support.

Given that background, and bearing in mind all the common-sense stuff written on this thread - is it too much of an alternative view to suggest that the strike might well be "solid" - and potentially successful?

I'm not sure I believe it, but that is the way the numbers are directing us. In which case, all I can see ahead is a very powerful dispute, right before an election.
In very powerful disputes, real power begins to exercise itself. It will be interesting to watch the power dynamics play out - especially when the Government join in, and especially considering the internal power plays within Unite.. How long before we see Mandy as the peace-maker?

Also, Unite's ability to actually run a ballot will not have improved much - the voting figures will still include hundreds of people who will not be asked to take any Industrial action. (TU monumental cock-ups with record keeping have not changed much in my 35 years knowledge of ER). The Courts might still have a say in this possible strike.
However, I bet that BA will not take the Court route this time. They need to fight Bassa/Unite on the power basis - and win, and win well.
My best wishes to those BA staff who want to survive, and who want their pension fund to survive.