PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aberdeen delay question
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2010, 04:52
Phil77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To be honest I am not interested in a helicopters fuel state unless they declare an emergency

...another outside observation (only helpful for your inbounds of course):
Although it is not a regulation and merely advisory in nature, on this side of the pond we have a procedure that states "minimum fuel". Controllers are requested to keep an eye on the aircrafts expected progress and try to avoid undue delays:

Minimum Fuel. The Aeronautical Information Manual (AIM) and the Pilot/Controller Glossary both provide the following definition, which states that, Minimum Fuel:

“Indicates that an aircraft’s fuel supply has reached a state where, upon reaching the destination, it can accept little or no delay. This is not an emergency situation but merely indicates an emergency situation is possible should any undue delay occur.”

Note: Use of the term “minimum fuel” indicates recognition by a pilot that his/her fuel supply has reached a state where, upon reaching destination, he/she cannot accept any undue delay. This is not an emergency situation but merely an advisory that indicates an emergency situation is possible should any undue delay occur. A minimum fuel advisory does not imply a need for traffic priority. Common sense and good judgment will determine the extent of assistance to be given in minimum fuel situations. If, at any time, the remaining usable fuel supply suggests the need for traffic priority to ensure a safe landing, the pilot should declare an emergency and report fuel remaining in minutes.
A personal note: I believe the system only works if all parties involved respect each other and not bitch at the first sign of trouble - I am sure that most controllers are doing everything in their power to help. Still, some seem to forget on occasion, that their job is to provide a service to the pilots, not the other way 'round - just saying