PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk VI
Old 22nd Feb 2010, 20:49
Glamgirl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to go back a bit in time.

Posted by Draglift:
I was surprised to hear a couple of LGW cabin crew saying yesterday they felt they ought to vote for a strike. I didn't want to rock the boat by asking them directly but can someone please explain why they feel they are entitled to vote for a strike?

Does anyone know what the LGW cabin crew hope to achieve by a strike vote? Are they showing support for LHR cabin crew who sold them down the river by allowing BASSA to agree the LGW crewing levels? Or is it the withdrawal of a purser or because LGW crew can no longer transfer to LHR, or just because they feel they are the poor cousins of LHR crew and need to show some protest in case their conditions deteriorate further in the future?

Glamgirl you have always been so practical and spot on with your comments and observations. Maybe you can explain why some of your LGW colleagues want to vote for a strike that has been instigated by BASSA due to imposition at LHR.
Draglift, first of all, thank you for the compliment. To be honest, I haven't met anyone at LGW lately that are intending to strike. There are of course some out there, and I think the issue for them is the transfer issue, as in there won't be any transfers on current t&c. They have received an explanation that no matter how long they strike for, there won't be any more transfers on current t&c. This doesn't mean I agree with it, by the way. There will be opportunities for transfers onto NF t&cs. Whether this is acceptable for LGW crew is up to each person to decide. The union has also managed to scare some LGW into voting yes by claiming the 52 week redeployment issue, forgetting that this is company wide.

As of the news today, it's a sad day. The result wasn't a surprise, to be honest, but it's still sad. We will of course need to wait until Thursday to find out the dates for any strike.

I'd like to apologise to those customers who now have a great amount of uncertainty in regards to their flights. By the looks of things, we have a fair amount of no-voters, non-voters, volunteers and temp crew to be able to operate a schedule. I know that this doesn't make much of a difference when you don't know whether your flight will go ahead.

Gg

I'm BA crew and this is my own opinion and not that of my employer

Last edited by Glamgirl; 22nd Feb 2010 at 21:23. Reason: add disclaimer