PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk VI
Old 22nd Feb 2010, 19:24
cloudn9ne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XT668,

As suggested its best to educate yourself in a little more detail on this whole subject before critising others for voicing their opinion. Opinions that you wrongly believe to be anti crew and none supportive.

You blame BA management but surely its totally understandable that a company with an uncompetative cost base and losing £1.5 million a day has no choice but to act responsibly and cut costs. In order to survive long term and be competative changes must be made

BA told every workgroup within BA that they would have to make savings and gave them a deadline to do this. Most work groups accepted changes but the Cabin Crew did not. This in effect has put BA in a vulnerable position. As the recent court case pointed out, BA managment could no longer negotiate effectively with the union due to Union rep infighting between BASSA and Amicus. Therefore BA acted ''reasonably'' by imposing changes in the face of financial failure.

As mentioned in earlier threads BASSA has constantly used imflamatory spin, mis information and lies in order to get Crew in the mood for a fight and have done a very good job of making the vast majoirity of crew believe BA is the enemy.

The rest of the workforce may now seem non supportive to you but when the rest of us have taken pay cuts and are working harder to hear Cabin Crew moaning about a pay freeze, working one down and being willing to strike till BA is shut down its a bitter pill to swallow. As mentioned I blame BASSA not the crew themselves but why support the crew on what I beleive to be the wrong fight.

As you said 7,400 crew think there is in issue, just 60% of the work force and that is mainly due to the fact BASSA has TOLD them there is an issue!! BASSA a union that as i highlighted in earlier threads has lied and twisted the facts many times before.

The openskies fight was fought when profits were at a record high for different reasons, to strike in a recession when a company is fighting to survive is just plain crazy. A strike would affect all employees in BA hence the lack of support.