PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk VI
Old 21st Feb 2010, 21:04
ottergirl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wonder what CSDs on Eurofleet are then, they have been working on the trolleys for years!
Tiramisu - Effectively just another Purser like the man said! Which is what makes the Eurofleet management nervous.

Some EF crew can be VERY FLEXIBLE when they are about to lose GVA but VERY INFLEXIBLE when it's MAN.
winstonsmith - no flexibility on Eurofleet. Everyone works to the agreement, both crew and scheduling! No favours asked nor given. Its fairer that way so to imply we have a choice is incorrect. We could wish to keep GVA or lose MAN but it is just that - a wish, a pipe-dream.

Promoting crew based on merit is dangerous because they don't have any experience. It should based on seniority. There was a huge debate about this when the company introduced this system at LGW. Seems to be working more than well done there. The seniority system explains why many crew don't have any motivation left because they don't see any career progression ahead of themselves. Crew recruited in 1997 are still working in World Traveller and Club World.
Again winstonsmith, I have to correct you. All our promotion is done on merit; if you don't pass the rigorous selection process, (screening of Ops file, written application and essay, interview, presentation and role-play), you don't get the job. The nod to seniority is the qualification to apply which varies from campaign to campaign and fleet to fleet. On Eurofleet the last Purser campaign was open to crew with minimum 4 years experience so many post 1997 crew applied and were selected. Once you are a Purser you are immediately eligible to apply for CSD provided you merit it.
One thing though, it matters not what I think, it is people like MissM, A Lurker and WWW, along with HiFlyer, Ottergirl and Tiramisu that count. The thread is weaker since the pro strikers left. How can you influence the debate, when all you are debating with is yourselves?
True words Litebulb. We are still reading your thoughts but the current climate in BA makes forums a bit nerve-wracking so the posts on open forums like this will stay limited for some time I suspect. Too wise to exchange the 'over-inflated pay' Henkybaby feels sure I earn, for the dole.
All thoughts my own and in no way representative of my employer.

Last edited by ottergirl; 21st Feb 2010 at 21:08. Reason: clarification and spelling