PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair-Questions, comments, bouquets & brickbats (Merged)
Old 21st Feb 2010, 20:15
DIA74

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, smala01

smala01 - Many thanks for your response. I am pleased to read FR do not cut corners on maintenance. For the record, I am not a nervous pax. I have been in the airline and travel industry for 40 + years and flown over 8000 sectors.

I agree new aircraft should not need intensive engineering, and that flying is very safe, but there have been enough fairly new craft involved in nasties to underline the need to avoid complacency. Ideal engineering support - (Yes, I know that term means very different things to Engineers and Accountants!!!) - requires major investment in experienced engineers, supervisors, ongoing training and spare parts. The bigger a carrier gets, and the wider their aircraft are scattered across bases, with staff not all totally proficient in the same language, the more investment is desirable. But of course safety is not just down to engineering. It rests heavily on flight deck and cabin crew training, in Operations, loading, ground handling - in fact virtually every department.

My flying experience has included a few potentially dangerous incidents. The likely causes of them, plus how crews reacted in a crisis, has been instructive.