PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk VI
Old 19th Feb 2010, 22:50
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I hope, hope, hope for everyone's sake BASSA/Unite pull their socks up, and there is no strike!
My thoughts as well but..... we are, what? less than 72 hours away from the vote being counted, and the today's anouncement will have come too late to influence the positioning of a 'X' on the ballot paper. So I have no doubt on Monday or Tuesday the BASSA Reps will announce they have overwhelming support for IR, whilst obviously emphasising they are still open to negotiation. However BA have thumped BASSA in the courts again, have strike breaking plans well in order and will be in absolutely no mood to help...

As I see it the only way a strike will be avoided is if BASSA/Unite have the awareness to step outside the bubble generated by their rhetoric, become aware of the mess they've got themselves into, and perform a complete climb down ( with perhaps the senior Unite people trying to produce some sort of face saving deal with BA for the BASSA reps). However BA must now be sensing blood and I certainly don't see them rushing to compromise.

Basically short of a revolution at the palace, or senior Unite leaders pulling the plug on the BASSA Reps, I reckon the strike will happen.