PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk VI
Old 19th Feb 2010, 16:30
SlideBustle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sussex I agree that BA should pay a premium as we are a premium carrier. Hence ''market rate plus 10%'' - as long as BA only has a new pay model for future crew. I cannot see the problem?? Of course they can't just force people out or slash all of our costs, including people who have been here 20-30 years with families, mortgages etc as that would be unfair. When columbus was first released they expressly stated that it will be future crew. BASSA went on the bandwagon though and the scaremongering and have done all through this. What they should have done, is as soon as they got hold of the document, talked about it with BA and asked BA to reassure that it is just for future crew, not out right refusing to talk about cost savings etc etc...

I have had this argument in the pub before - should those who go the extra mile get their shot at promotion over and above everyone else? Should everyone get a turn when they get x% up the seniority list. In every other company, it is those who go the extra mile who get promoted, and not the everyman who does his 9-5. Wrong? Maybe...but surely that is what you want in someone who is effectively a manager, albeit a cabin manager, rather than the oldie who has been around the longest.
Promotion, like it is in most companies should be done on performance and merit. I know ours is seniority/merit, where you still have to proove merit in an interview, but you can only apply if you have been at BA for x years. On shorthaul I think it is only something like 3 years, however longhaul it is much longer. Hence why crew who have been at BA worldwide for 12 years have not had the oppurtunity even if it has come about in the last few years. I personally do not think this is fair. I do not necassarily agree with direct entry SCCM as I think obviously you do need crew who are experienced (with BA) as crew to be incharge. However, whilst obviously it is important to be experienced, does that mean that only inviting people who have been at BA for 7 yrs or more is fair. Does it take that long to be good at your job??? Performance is obviously gained by a certain level of experience, however it is mainly the individual, how quick they are to learn and how enthusiastic they are/and their skills. Not really how long they have been there. That's why I think it should be more merit based to be more fair.

Another thing I don't really agree properly with, is the whole ''working positions seniority bidding'' system - this means the most junior crew member is always lumbered with an unpopular working position (DF's, Club galley for WW etc etc) whilst the most senior chooses what they like, sometimes this means they just choose the ''easiest position''. Then if they happen to be the most junior position on a certain flight and have to do DFs they might not have a clue!! Likewise junior crew may not have much experience in a certain position, and may have the most difficult position every flight. Is this really a healthy system?? Do other airlines do this or is it more a volunteer to work here/there or a fair share system?

Seniority does count for something though... I don't think it should be gotten rid of completely (pay scales etc) but when it comes to working positions - everyone should be able to work around the aircraft - we are all crew. Likewise, if you are good at your job you should be able to go for Promotion.