PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Too Late To Train?
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2010, 14:57
Gentle Climb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I started an integrated course in September 2008 at the age of 39. ( I know about ther timing issue!) The industry is on it's knees at the moment but it seems to me that when there is an upturn, and there will be one eventually, as long as you are capable of operating safely and in line with SOP's that age is not the issue that it was once upon at time, so don't worry too much about that. Also consider corporate options.
Perhaps the best piece of advice I can offer is that you must not under-estimate just how hard the road ahead is. It can be tough and lonely. It will obliterate your social life and your family will get very fed up with constant airline/training conversation. This may cause you some pressure. My partner has been astoundingly supportive but she is now growing weary of the constant slog. I managed to lose the glideslope due to a sudden headwind with 100 feet to DA this morning in my Instrument Rating and partialled it. Whilst I am really gutted about it, I can't change it now so will have to get on with it and not do it again. The worst thing was telling my partner that it isn't over yet and I still have another three weeks to go. This takes me out of the running for a holiday to dee her parents on their 50th wedding anniversary. It sucks but this is life now, you really should be aware of these issues.

Last edited by Gentle Climb; 19th Feb 2010 at 15:17.