PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk VI
Old 19th Feb 2010, 13:55
PC767

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't want to get bogged down in the specfics of Scope, I raise the matter because I believe it is most obvious agreement to illustrate how all agreements can now be affected on this particular forum.

Also because during the Open Skies dispute it was ruled that Scope was a legally binding agreement. That gave my Pilot colleagues the satisfaction and security of knowing that they would not be slowly replaced with cheaper pilots within the UK. To illustrate my point about the fragility of workers agreements it would now be possible for Walsh & Co to seek any change to Scope and cite the latest case law that agreements are not legally binding, and should a company feel the need to protect its self financially, it could take steps without consultation or agreement. In the case of Scope, Open Skies contracts for Pilots within the UK.

But the new issues go far beyong BA, so I will not mention Scope again, its not (yet) the discussion, only an illustration.

The court case does not negate the current industrial ballot. It may now be the case that a company can legally ignore an agreement but there is still the moral issue. The subject of whether a strike is legal or not is procedural and not about the subject matter. In this instance BA cabin crew are being asked if they are aggrieved about recent events within the company. If they are or not will be clear when the result of the ballot is announced.