PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Too Late To Train?
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2010, 12:19
Happy Wanderer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cliff,

In September 2005, I posted what became a 2-page thread entitled 'Career prospects for a career-changer....aged 42' - the link's below for anyone who want's a read.

After completing my fATPL in June 2008, I spent about three months looking for work, had an interview up in ABZ with bmir (which didn't come to anything), did an FI rating back at the FTO where I did my own training, teaching PPL and more recently CPL on Cessnas and Diamonds to a mix of sponsored and self-sponsored cadets (a job I loved btw, for anyone considering the instructing route, short or long-term). I now have just under 800hrs TT. This week I was offered a FO's position on a turboprop with a UK regional airline, TR paid for and unbonded. I'll be 48 next birthday.

I could probably write books based on my own experience on what helps and hinders in 'persuing the dream'. You basically need to be current, work extremely hard, be determined and persistent as hell, have access to funding (I am in some debt, but not up to my neck in it), be personable and good with colleagues and customers (the 'non-stick and rudder skills' that a poster refered to in my original post), network like crazy, and finally enjoy a certain amount of luck along the way. Did I ever consider giving up at any stage? Well yes, sometimes, to be honest. Getting a job means making sacrifices (I'm going to need to temporarily relocate to do this, leaving a wife, home, lifestyle and football season-ticket to do this) - it's not easy.

I'm not going to say you'll get a job, although by the time you're ready to start looking for one I'm sure things will be looking brighter in the industry. I just wanted to point out that it CAN be done given the right circumstances and opportunties, and anyone writing-off the 'over-30s or 40's' would be wise to take note.

I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

HW

http://www.pprune.org/interviews-job...aged-42-a.html