PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - video clip addresses pilot wages vs. pilot debt.
Old 17th Feb 2010, 09:20
captain_overspeed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm going to create an airline that fits in the niche between Private Charters and First Class with extra amenities for non low fare prices. I will then pay my first officers 42K starting, plus offer them housing that is owned by my airline. You cannot eat non rev tickets. Nor resell them for that matter.

I will support this by not allowing management to make 500K annually like at many airlines and no bonuses. Regardless, pilots should make more than they do, and they should have better working conditions than they are forced to deal with.

It is sad that 18-22 year olds desperate to fly for nothing because they still live with Mum and Dad will always be in supply. But proper airline management will allow the system to be proper. Unions are part to blame because at Southwest non-unionized pilots make decent pay. Among the highest in the US. For a low fare with no 20K first class tickets. Many majors have their expenditures way out of control and shouldn't be allowed protection when they go bankrupt. They, like the banks, should just be allowed to fail and fall into oblivion. United, Continental etc should be gone.

If China Airlines Cargo can pay their cargo agents 21K starting salary and up every year on, then Trans States, Colgan Air, Pinnacle, Skywest can pay their pilots who carry the livelihood of their companies revenues more than 18K yearly. Even some of the ramp agents make more than the pilots.

And instead of trying to buy hundreds of brand new crjs, why don't these companies try to get a healthy company as opposed to a gigantic one?

18K yearly while being overworked is simply abysmal. Because believe it or not, these pilots carry the lives of hundreds in their hands in IMC conditions flying heavy machinery for hours with extreme precision. Doctors make 6 figs why shouldn't pilots. Afterall they carry more lives in their hands in one second than a doctor does in a day. Colgan 3407 was an example of the system failing. If you're too dumb to see that, then PERHAPS you shouldn't speak on the matter because you're not helping any side.

But the real truth is, regional airlines aren't very profitable, and their revenues are supplemented with gov't grants thru airports and also mainline carrier revenues. The US should move towards trains for small distances (LAX-SAN or LAX-BUR) so that pilots don't have to go through all the BULLS . I think part of this is America's reliance on air travel where air travel probably isn't the best mode of transport. (not regarding cargo).

Perhaps if capitalism is why prices are so low, then maybe capitalism needs to go since it (according to your rationale) is what killed the people of Colgan 3407.

Last edited by captain_overspeed; 17th Feb 2010 at 10:59.