PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk VI
Old 16th Feb 2010, 21:33
midman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wascrew

No I don't think the Disruption plan looks one-sided - it looks like any company's plans in the event of major disruption to their operation. You've fallen for the Bassa propaganda of trying to portray any change to the way cabin crew work as a full frontal assault which will result in the abuse of its members.

There was the suggestion recently from IFCE that some cabin crew might have occasional additional duties on the ground, the intention being that CSDs might carry out some part time role in the office, Bassa allowed cabin crew to believe that it meant they'll be loading bags, doing check in, then reporting for duty to fly. Similarly, Bassa interpret BA's attempt to to maximise flexibility in its workforce in the rare event of disruption, as an attempt to turn the cabin crew into dogsbodies, doing general jobs anywhere, anytime. All nonsense.

What they want you to do is to work as cabin crew, but when things go haywire out on the runways, to be flexible, accommodating, and focussed on doing what's best for the operation, not necessarily what's best for you or your union at that time. To change the disruption agreement means putting things down on paper, and the words used to try to achieve that flexibility are what you see in the proposal.

Nearly all contracts, including mine, have a clause stating words to the effect that the company can expect me to carry out duties at any time that it sees fit to give me. I don't interpret that as me working in the baggage hall if I don't have a plane to fly.

Of course if the Bassa reps had been round the table, they could have agreed a more mutually acceptable wording of the agreement.

Perhaps the PCC would have done a better job of doing just that.