PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk VI
Old 16th Feb 2010, 14:46
Rover90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Indeed, BA have many options on how they wish to select crew and foreign bases have always been used and the individual numbers used from each base has been agreed with BASSA.

I noticed that Watersidewonker has dropped in to update the PPrune forum on his take on the current situation

WOW with less than a week to go until the massive YES vote arrives i am getting so excited and with the bonus of a High Court topup around the same time.
A massive YES vote and presumably followed by industrial action? I question whether the BASSA leadership has really informed the membership what the consequences of striking really are.

Allegedly, on the “other” forum, some observant sole has alluded to the fact that they have just seen a website run by the government which deals with changes to contracts.

Disagreeing to changes in your employment conditions : Directgov - Employment

Presumably the following paragraphs were something that they were possibly not aware of, didn’t like the look of and might have asked themselves why they had not been made aware:

If you don't agree, your employer is not allowed to just bring in a change. However, they can terminate your contract (by giving notice) and offer you a new one including the revised terms - effectively sacking you and taking you back on.
If you don't accept the new contract - or if you've accepted the new one but feel there was no good reason for ending the old one - you have the right to make an unfair dismissal claim.
If there is a sound business reason for the change, and your employer has properly consulted you and looked into any alternatives, you could find it difficult to win your claim.
Given that Watersidewonker is correct and the membership will return a YES vote, albeit with a reduced majority, what proportion of cabin crew will have an appetite to ACTUALLY withdraw their labour and strike given the certainty that staff travel will be withdrawn and the above simplistic but clear legal position.

My humble view, considerably less than 2000, and clearly all the BASSA reps that orchestrated this situation should be at the front of the queue to get the "good news" from Mr Walsh.