PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk VI
Old 15th Feb 2010, 23:31
Re-Heat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cranebank has many eyes and ears and that is what a democratic system in this country allows or have i said too much.
Wow. Sounds like East Berlin, but not a democratic system.

I believe the company's intention is very much to destroy BASSA in every shape and form, and to make its continued existence untenable. While I do believe that negotiations were started last year in good faith (yes, even by management), it is clear to me that management no longer have any tolerance for working practices that are totally incompatible with a modern business.

Unfortunately, real people come between unions and management. While I have consistently said before that real people have made real life plans around their salaries and allowances (whatever your opinion of the size of those allowances), that does not excuse the BASSA reps from total refusal to consider compromise and changes in good faith. They just don't get it that it is not just about the cash taken in salaries alone, but the business flexibility that causes compound wastage of resources and capital elsewhere. The 70s mentality will get them nowhere.

I very much understand why many allowances and structures were set up - BOAC cargo crews stuck in Auckland alone for a week awaiting the next flight to pick them up needed real support and allowances. That is totally incomparable to a 3x daily ATH or 2x daily SEA operation.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the real world and media couldn't care less - the world is short of money and jobs right now in aggregate...