PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hope for the new guys - The first shoots
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2010, 22:32
Piltdown Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BALPA isn't the leader nor is it the agenda setter. It is a union of its members and they set its direction. Their job is not to trailblaze nor does it exist to rock the boat. Unless of course, it's members want to take action. And the way that happens nowadays, because of that heartless bitch Thatcher, is company by company. Every time you take action, you have to follow the law, letter by letter. I have been down that road and we came to an agreement (thank you Jenny, Carl et al). In doing so, we are receiving the benefit of our membership on a regular, ongoing basis.

But I have to ask - just how exactly can BALPA persuade an employer or an industry to change its ways? Realistically there is not a hope. Today, changes have to be forced through on company by company basis. You have to be prepared to pay hardball and REALLY be prepare to go on STRIKE. No pain, no gain. The clever bit is make the pain one sided. And that is where BALPA help. So to the mouth and trousers brigade, when was the last time you balloted for industrial action?

I'll give you the fancy fire-lighter called "The Log" is a bit beyond me. The ads, personals and articles are aimed at people who work in a different profession to me. This publication does the union no good whatsoever and merely serves to make its apparent readership a bunch of overpaid sky-gods.

But if you work for a UK company, you have to have a proper union. Whatever you say about BALPA, it is still the only thing we have. But it is arranged in such a way that YOU control its support in YOUR company to affect YOUR T's & C's. So if you feel it's not working for you, you are either in the minority or not actively playing your part. Or maybe you are not even a member.

PM