PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk VI
Old 15th Feb 2010, 20:51
wascrew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
disruption

Weather Map
Disruption and working unsociable hours IS part of the package and believe me sometimes dirsuption is the better part of the package in some ways. It is then that the skill, knowledge,experience and the ability to think on your feet comes to the fore and this may sound perverse but it is also enjoyable in a way aside from the more mundane days. It does of course mean that any appointments or plans you have may have to be re-arranged or go out of the window
IMHO this ability to think on ones feet is what separates BA crews from the `metronomic` behaviour of some airline crews.
However the consequences of what ORP could lead to not just in lifestyle change and the inability to run a life outside of your obligations to BA in the way BA want it is unacceptable to be honest. In spite of what you might think as in other areas of employment BA crews have the right to have a life outside work. Many have families to run as well as work for BA not all `trolley dollies` are young free and single as you may mistakenly believe.
Other areas in BA have volunteered their services iob the event of a cabin crew strike but this ORP could mean for example if the bagagge handlers go on strike then the crew will be re-deployed as baggage handlers or in any area of the business.
I initially saw BA`s proposals as fair and saw the reasoning behind wanting to bring the cabin crew wages and agreements into the 21st century but now I have seen this ORP it is clear IMHO that BA`s agenda is much more sinister than that.