PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landing when the airport is closed
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2010, 17:36
pax britanica

Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts
Bermuda is long way from anyway esp in an old Antonov Turbo prop. usual diversion airport is JFK 770 miles North West , if really desperate I think it Newport NAS about 700 miles WNW . .

Strong winter winds are very common in Bermuda and generally from the South west, terrain meant the runway had to be aligned 13/31 (I think) so cross winds can be a very severe problem. Lived there for 12 years and some very very bumpy rides in and a couple of very near miss disasters as two 727 within a couple of years demolished the outer 6-8 feet of a wing by striking the runway on touchdown in these sort of conditions: closures are a regular tho not frequent occurence. In my time there a good many C130s -similar type - made fuel stops in Bermuda before or after a long Atlantic crossing and I imagine a diversion against a very strong headwind component to a field 770 miles -3 hours or more away perhaps wasnt an option for shoestring freight operation-scary thought.

There is another more into wind runway that is closed but I suspect an Antonov prop with its military heritage would be ok into wind on it.

ATC in Bermuda is just tower and ground with all approach and departure radar handled by New York Centre using remte feds froma radar ona hill overlooking L F Wade international or Kindley Field as it is always called.

The airport is seperated by water from the main island and in strong winds the causeway and bridge carrying the only road to it are often closed so many airport personnel and sometimes pax stranded within sight of airpoirt but with no way of getting there. So its quite possisble there were no ATC in the tower so who will ever know what the Ant crew did. ( Locals dont tend to plane spot in %%kts and the horizontal rain that accompanies it)

PB