PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Gloomy day in Cyprus
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2002, 19:31
ethereal entity

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

High spirits

Hear hear! I am not (thankfully from what I am hearing) a member of 84. I have no doubt that it is a proud squadron as things stand at the moment. It has been overseas for over 75 years, which MUST lead to a strong Sqn identity. I assume that this goes for both aircrew and groundcrew - at least for now. The problem will arise in Apr 03 when the civvies take over a front line Sqn. Oh yes...front line first, I almost forgot..JACKONICKO - are you reading? You may wish to peruse the gov'ts commitment to front-line-first, because 84 operates on a regular basis in the Middle East - it doesn't get much more front line than that. And yet the Sqn engineers are becoming civvies. How does Tony explain that? Could you ask him for me?! The 412 will probably be a good piece of kit, I don't think that anyone denies that, but at what price? The aircrew will be run ragged with secondary duties. The groundcrew will, I believe, live off base - with all the riots taking place at the base at the moment I imagine that they will have a lovely time! This will lead to a slickly run Sqn, or maybe it won't. What about, as LJ has said, the effect on retention? The ONLY overseas flying Sqn has just gone civvy - what a wonderful way to tempt people into a dying career. CAS...are you aware of this or have your 'filters' managed to keep you blissfully unaware. I would like to hear from others for their opinion on this matter. Does anyone seriously believe that this is a step forward? If so, why? If not, why not?

Somebody needs to do something, and that somebody is me.

Love to all

Loyal bloke who does not want the RAF to go down the tubes as certain senior officers seem content to do.