PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - YMMB
Thread: YMMB
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2010, 04:04
By George

Received 74 Likes on 18 Posts
Wallsofchina, I cannot remember a Rus Collins but having said that the name rings a bell. I worked with John Flemming and Mal Cox, both doing my Instructor Rating. John was killed flying a night charter out of Dubbo and Mal went to Ansett. Both the Fletchers, VH-EOF and EOG were converted to crop-dusters and our Ag cousins promptly wrecked both of them, one being fatal. I don't know what happened to the Seabee, very odd aeroplane, had a Franklin engine of 290hp and a ground adjustable prop. Dual ignition but only one mag, the other side a car coil. 80kt climb, 80kt cruise and you guessed it, 80kt descent. Two hand pumps on the floor, one for gear, one for flaps, a real trap for players. The Fletcher had no floor, just a seat on a cross beam. If you dropped your pen it was gone forever! We also used a C172 for the 3DB beach patrol, VH-KWN. Phil Sutton found a group of sharks off Mud Island and in all the excitment during a steep turn at low level, stalled it and they got a closer look at the sharks by joining them. Both the radio announcer and Phil survived but KWN is now part of the seabed. I loved working for Bill, never a dull moment. Now I just sit for 12 hours watching an auto-pilot, but I am growing older.