PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk VI
Old 15th Feb 2010, 01:20
Dawdler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vld1977

Personally, I donīt agree with THIS strike. Or, better, I think the strike is not the best way to defend their point (which I consider to be legitimate) on this occasion. Strike is a legal right and a company cannot sack anyone who decides to strike legally.
Is this really what all these posters (who seem to like and suport the idea of strikers being sacked) think is the way forward? Ban strikes or abolish the right to strike? Arenīt you workers as well?
I tend agree with you that Unite/Bassa would be better keeping their powder dry for future battles. The strike is stated or understood to be about the imposition of new crewing levels on some flights. The case in the High Court is about the same thing. If Bassa were confident of winning the case perhaps they wouldn't be pursuing the strike route. In the event of their losing the case, where does that leave the strike call? A protest about something that is within the law. It has been said many times that strikers CAN be sacked, but not without consequences (Tribunal). I think that opponents of the strike are wanting the dispute to be resolved, and the normal operation of airline resumed. It has certainly done enough damage to the product so far. However if those so adamantly pro strike continue to damage the company, perhaps their opponents wish for them to go is understandable.

Quite what their opponents can do with the information regarding website/facebook/text message activities and misdemeanours is open to conjecture. But certainly the lack of denial of involvement in these activities does tend to lead one to the assumption that a truthful denial cannot be made. This makes a mockery those trying to promote the image of BASSA as a professional organisation.