PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hope for the new guys - The first shoots
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2010, 22:59
Dreamshiner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think its safe to say paying for a TR or obtaining an instructor rating is now expected so any new people entering the market should factor the cost into their initial sums. To avoid doing so is burying your head in the sand.

Things may change when employers can't satisfy demand, but that's a few years off and I think the damage has already been done. The extra level of training now exists because someone working for an airline said "why not ask them to pay", it was trialled and they got an interest, the airline exec got a bonus.

There is another pilot body in the UK, the IPA was formed (correct me if I'm wrong) after the demise of Dan Air initially as a group tasked with looking out for their welfare. Over time morphed into a union.

My own research into them was they charged £6 for an unemployed/student member, I would imagine they would look for a similar percentage of the salary as BALPA for those working.

The impression I got was they had good intentions but I was sure if they had much teeth when it came to negotiating or recognition due to the smallish member base.

Last edited by Dreamshiner; 14th Feb 2010 at 23:21.