PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mature Students Entering Aircraft Engineering
Old 14th Feb 2010, 10:43
ericferret

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
As BISH bASH says the job is currently not in rude health.

I have been in the job for almost 40 years and I have seen it this bad twice, on both ocasions for about 2 years (no guarantee as to what happens this time).

In the early 80's I had enough rejection letters all with beutiful headed paper to wallpaper my living room. The company I was working for was paying GBP 5000 a year. They dropped me in the crap with the CAA and I resigned with nothing to go too. The following day I got a job offer, a 3000 a year pay rise and never looked back.

The next nasty was the early nineties (hello do we have a 10 year cycle). I remember receiving a phone call from an ex miner with his redundancy pay in hand enquiring about becomming a helicopter pilot. I told him how dire the industry was and his reponse was "I'd rather be an out of work helicopter pilot than an out of work plumber". He now works for the same company as me as a captain earning nearly twice what I get!!!!!!!

Faint heart never f****d a pig!!!!!!

It's going to be a time before you get your qualifications, time and demographics are on your side.

EASA the CAA and Big Airways are your enemy.