PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BIRMINGHAM - 4
Thread: BIRMINGHAM - 4
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2010, 06:40
GayFriendly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AI/FR

AI - are apparently looking for a new hub in Europe to operate through, FRA (its current hub) has been cited as too expensive. DUB currently in the frame which seems a crackpot idea unless they are looking simply to make a plain tech stop (in which case it will come down to whoever is cheapest with available slots?). If they are looking to make a true hub style operation then sadly BHX I don't think has a chance even with the new pier, it is let down by runway length constraints as AI fly to west coast US. PIA did OK when they used BHX for YYZ and ORD stops en route but I seem to remember they were really only tech stops with very few pax being picked up or dropped off at BHX. I'm sure AI could make a three weekly BHX-ATQ-DEL work but sadly they don't seem to think so despite their now infamous quote made after they pulled out in 2009 'we haven't forgotten about Birmingham'. I hope BHX lobbies hard for this one, having worked with AI before could be an advantage although MAN will provide extremely strong competition me thinks.

FR - another a/c for EDI making six. Obviously BAA are more cozy to work with than BHX......and a new hangar at PIK, so all that blarney about 50 routes and a new hangar was exactly that, pure blarney. BHX needs a much more committed loco operator, I think FR have really let BHX down. Question is - who? WW and Jet2 committed to EMA, EZY just not interested in the Midlands and BE happy to stick with tried and tested routes (admittedly they have greatly expanded their French offerings from BHX this summer albeit only for six weeks or so). EDI surely will overtake BHX in pax figures this year?