PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - KLM 737 @t EHAM & Aeroflot 737 @ ENGM taxiway take-off
Old 12th Feb 2010, 23:13
captplaystation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with you completely, but you know, sometimes at that time of night , you don't give a sh!t and you "could" forget what are the "good" colours and happily launch off enjoying the fact the way was illuminated.

Not so long ago , I lined up on a runway with "No" lights.

My colleague said nothing, well our landing lights were great ( thanks "Mr Boeing", sorry for Turkish reticence) I asked," could you put the lights on please", and the picture was indeed better, but, had I been a little bit more tired ? , it was about midnight, so lets say 0200 ? I don't entirely discount the possibility that I might " just" have performed the take -off with a vague appreciation that" sumfin ain't right" but might have gone none the less.
Even as I queried what I saw, I queried myself. . . we become really transfixed with justifying ourselves nowadays it becomes, actually, quite scary. Our previously unquestioned/ totally justified "command authority" is slowly and subversively , being diluted by so much politically correct totally
irrelevant, crap. THIS IS A BIG PROBLEM, particularly for companies like Ryanair, where these guys are so used to having no authority/deferring to "the boss/i.e the company" for every decision. There is no actual day to day pressure, in fact any decisions you make, are never questioned, the danger arises from the subtle mindset, that the less worldy (i.e. never worked elsewhere ) bods adopt, and take with them to command. Subtle, but really dangerously stifling , really so .

These guys have been castrated before getting the 4 bars, the price for this is & will become more apparent as time goes on.
Wet, limiting tailwind, not so long, possibly slippery when wet R/W , Flap 30 A/B 2 on a B738 anyone ? Why the hell would you as a LTC do this ? indoctrination I would suggest. If not ? well your judgement is shot to hell anyway & you were wrongly promoted.
Me, I blame the system, and I believe that the "rewards" will be reaped in due course
Not at all "pay peanuts get monkey".
Much worse "encourage & reward by promotion compliance, stifle & hinder individual contribution through observation & suggestion, by disregarding & failing to acknowledge"