PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - KLM 737 @t EHAM & Aeroflot 737 @ ENGM taxiway take-off
Old 12th Feb 2010, 21:45
captplaystation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In Ryanair I always had the impression ( & I for sure wasn't the only one ) that many of our "new" Dutch F/O's came across as smart-asses.

I am however , quite prepared to accept that a large part of that could be me being an old fart, and that the equivalent F/O from Eire / UK / Spain/ wherever, could be just as bad, but was merely perhaps just a bit more "tactful" about it.
I believe at least a part of the difference is in the way you cloggies are so direct, it gives the impression " I really know what I am saying here, and it's right".
Indeed , in your own language , you "may" be capable of coming across as humble, in English ? . . . that is more problematical.
A bit like Dutch ATC, they communicate (never mind if they have to correct you ) in a way that makes you feel belittled, they may indeed merely be trying to be helpful, but the way they tell you gives exactly the opposite impression.
For me, you guys have two big problems in English, 1 - because you speak it pretty well, you think you speak it like a native, so you speak too quickly, even for a native speaker, so HE ends up like a dummy saying Huh ?
2 - you speak it too assertively, perhaps as you speak your native language, and you end up coming across as arrogant pr1cks, when in fact probably you are not.
I dunno, the Flemish speaking Belgians don't like you so much, what's their complaint ? ? maybe something along the same lines ? or maybe you are just arrogant ? Well, there are probably worse national attributes to be landed with
Ah, nothing like a bit of intra-european dialogue to start the weekend.

Anyway, to get back in the direction of the thread, bugger all to do with nationality or airport, we are all more than capable of cocking up supremely well at any airport regardless of the country of airport or nationality of driver.
No accident, no casualties, hopefully a lesson to be learned for all, sh1t happens !