PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk VI
Old 11th Feb 2010, 22:45
plodding along

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right, what am I missing here? If the judge grants an injunction to BASSA then that means BA have to restore crewing levels in the not too distant future.

By definition that means that the "imposition" is lifted and the strike would have to be called off would it not?

Even if the result is a 100% yes the strike has to be cancelled because the ballot was purely about the imposition of new crewing levels.

Sure months could pass without any fruitful negotiation and at some point BA will have to issue a 90 day change of contract (or they could do it the day after the judgement whichever they prefer) and BASSA will re ballot on whatever it disputes at that time

The fact remains that the current ballot is legally about the imposition and nothing else.
It would be a disaster for BA as breaking the strike is the only way to clear the air and move on, another ballot and possible strike over the summer just prolongs this epic.

My question is: if BASSA get the injunction can they still strike and if so, why would they?

To possibly answer my own question is it because they still intend to reduce crewing levels either by appeal or by change of contract? i.e. BASSA will still strike unless BA say "sorry, you win, no changes for you ever. Keep your crewing levels we promise never to bring it up again?

I can't see how you can legally strike when the thing you are striking over has been legally removed.

Last edited by plodding along; 17th Feb 2010 at 19:43.