PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SY localiser frequency - readback NOT required
Old 11th Feb 2010, 10:48
Captain Dart

Location: with the other ex-CX pond scum (a zoologist was once head of Flight Ops)
Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts
First of all, thank you to all who responded about my complaints of unnecessary readbacks in Australian airspace, particularly having to read back 'cleared XX miles left/right of track' after being granted the original request. Also 'thank you' to those who quoted Australian AIP.

Many of us fly internationally for Asian airlines on Asian licences. At last count, my airline flies to at least 25 countries and we read back what is 'normal' in 24 of them. We don't GET Australian AIP or 'pamphlets'. If we had to read the AIP of every country we fly to, we would never get off the ground! We just do what we think is correct in accordance with good airmanship and common sense. This sort of 'anality' would not have prevented the recent breakdown in separation over northern Australia in the middle of the night in a 'head on' situation.

I am not unloading on the average Australian ATCO, but I would recommend a shift in Heathrow Director on a Friday night to every CASA and AirServices policy- and rule-maker. The Brits are good at a few things, humour, museums, breakfasts and above all, ATC. They deal with many more English language-challenged pilots than Australia does, and without having to request them to read back 'one two tree daysimal fower'.

When I fly home to Australia with fellow Aussies in the cockpit, Australian ATC can be a bit of a joke, but when I am with other nationalities it can be positively cringe-worthy.

Last edited by Captain Dart; 11th Feb 2010 at 11:01.