PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SY localiser frequency - readback NOT required
Old 11th Feb 2010, 08:09
Borram

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Localiser readbacks.

I doubt very much that any Syd App/Director has required a readback of the llz frequency in the last few years. We all hate giving it as it clogs up the frequency unnecessarily. CASA imposed it on us after United lined on 34R not long after 34R was opened.
I have been doing App/Dir since way back in the 20th century and we now have so much more that we have to say and get readbacks for than we did when I first rated on there. Sometimes we sweat on a transmission finishing from a pilot so that we can issue an instruction such as a turn to final before we lose separation . Our ulcers do get a work out then I can assure you.
As for pilots not reporting there heading on first contact with Dir, yes they are supposed to , but in our defence only jets are on STARS when they call Dir and we know the props have been given headings by App when we are using 34L/R. Thats why we don't chase the heading readback up. After all we can see what heading you are on by radar.
As I said above there is too much BS that has to be given and readback already.
We even get chipped for not giving miles to run when a/c are already on a straight in approach and on final by our Check controllers. With all the onboard and ground equipment available to a/c to work out exactly how far they are from touchdown, I don't think we need to tell you that. On circuits that's different as you may not know when we plan to turn you.
Hope that helps .