PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What happened after my Pilapt assessment.
Old 10th Feb 2010, 13:59
potkettleblack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crescent, first and foremost don't start your training now. The chances of you getting a job are slim at best. The only two options available at the moment would be FR and sleazy via CTC. It would be unlikely that you will be able to service your debt from an integrated course via either route.

However, you will no doubt ignore my advice so consider this. You stated you wanted to be immersed in your training and away from home. Well so did I. So here is how I did it.

Firstly I went to Florida during my holidays for a JAA PPL which took around 3 weeks. Then went back to work to earn some more money. Did some hour building back in the US over the course of various other holidays to get another 100 or so hours. Then found a school in Bournemouth that did residential ground school. This took around 6 months or so from memory. Sat in class each day and got spoon fed which suited me just fine. Supplemented that with the Bristol database and whipped the 14 exams into submission.

Then I was off to a small school down at Bournemouth for my multi engine rating, multi CPL and multi IR. Never went near a variable pitch single engine jobby so came out with around 50 hours multi all up. From memory it cost me around 28k. Took about 4 months and most of that was during winter.

MCC was through PARC. This was all about 3 years ago now and I am happily working and getting paid to fly.

All in all it probably cost me about 40k or so in training costs - even as an accountant I could never bring myself to add up all the numbers and trawl through the receipts! Add onto that accomodation and other living costs. If you really want to do the sums properly you should factor in loss of earnings which for me were considerable.

At the end of the day I came out with the same bits of paper as you will from your integrated course but considerably cheaper.