PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What happened after my Pilapt assessment.
Old 10th Feb 2010, 05:21
Dane-Ger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lets try and look at some of your points and misconceptions

I attended an assessment with the pilot training college and secured a place on the course. After achieving a 9 out of 10, all that was left to do was arrange my medical and secure my finance.
You would have to be hopeless in the present climate not to get in. Do you really think a school is going to say no to 80,000 just now? They are a business like any other that have to make money to survive. At the end of the day almost everyone can become a commercial pilot, it's just a matter of how much time and money it will cost them in the end.

I did not expect to succeed. I simply shown up out of curiosity, expect a failure and focus on what needed improving but it turned out I was very capable of being trained
They are very good salesmen indeed, they have convinced you within a few short hours to spend a lot of money.

I'm not knocking modular, but I want to do my training fast. I want to be miles away from home, surrounded and immersed in aviation knowing that when I return home i'll either bring immense pride to my family or unforgivable shame. This part-time flying business does not sound my style.
You can be finished even faster with modular, Where do you get the idea that it is part time? true it can be done part time, but most CPL and MEIR at the good modular schools are full time, proffesional, well structured courses, no different from the integrated one, just a lot cheaper.

Well my step-dad wanted to put his house up for guarentor. £80,000 it is worth but the greedy bankers want more equity even though it covers the cost of the course and that it will be repaid.
I'm sorry but here you are showing your lack of understanding for what has happened in the world over the last two years.

And before some of the critics go 'debt is a terrible curse,' and so on...I am well aware of the financial responsibility I have committed myself to. Better to have faced the door to find it locked rather than not approach it at all.
I don't think you are, you have no idea the stress and havok debt can play on people. I have seen good people crumble under the strain. Could you really wake up in the morning and live with yourself knowing that your step father had lost his home and everything he had worked for all their lives just because you insisted on taking the most expensive route (insert gamble) you can?

You have so much time on your side, If you can borrow the money (or even better work and save it up) do your PPL at a good modular school just now. find out if you even like flying. go and visit some of the good modular schools as well to get a feel for the atmosphere, you'll find the good ones are no different from the integrated schools.

Good luck.

Regards D-G