PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk VI
Old 9th Feb 2010, 01:45
Tiramisu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Every individual union member has the opportunity to cast a vote in a secret ballot. Every person who can cast a vote knows that they could be "out the door" for 12 days and no more staff travel. That is a huge decision, but it is one that will be made without anybody bullying you - its secret.
Litebulbs,
If only it as a secret as you say, or as it should be. Majority of my colleagues are going round asking each other which way they voted and following suit. Many of them are also waiting for the result of the ballot to decide by which time it will be too late to cast a vote.
So secret, sadly, it ain't. Furthermore it is through working with colleagues and seeing the propaganda littered by BASSA in our report centre, it's evident how they are influencing crew to vote yes. You only have to read other crew forums to see how they are being influenced in one way only. The bullying and intimidation should you have an alternative view, is appalling. The hate mail written by BASSA about our CEO is pretty disgusting, I picked something up yesterday evening. It's sad to see employees hate their employer to the extent at present, which I hold BASSA totally responsible for.
Some of the crew I work with have little understanding about what's at stake, all they know is about New Fleet and Imposition. It's hardly an informed decision, made with little understanding of Bill Francis emails, reading Cabin Crew News or any other literature that outlines the facts or even attending weekly Business Floorplate meetings giving them an opportunity to ask questions.

If members are so disillusioned with BASSA an Unite, then they should be looking at the PCCC. Unite is a service that you pay for, a bit like a mobile phone company really and if they give bad service then look elsewhere, but do it in an organised manner. Just say 500 Unite members have left since the last ballot. If everyone else who is still a member votes the same, the turnout will be higher and the percentage will be too. But to be effective, the PCCC need to be a union, just to allow its officers the facility to carry out business, with legal backing.
It's early days but the support and interest the PCCC has received has been overwhelming. Thank you for your advice, it is appreciated and will be passed on.

There is one thing that I will say for BA, they are experts at driving a hard bargain. Mr Walsh is not there because he is inept, but his prime driver is the business, as it should be, so just take little steps when you back away from collective strength and enter into the realms of "effective consultation". If you are career BA, then you will not know what that means to changing terms and conditions
As for changing terms and conditions some of our working practises are restrictive, but I won't go into that here (for the benefit of my colleagues, my reference is to Fixed Links, which I'm in favour of).
Strangely, I admire Willie Walsh as he is the first CEO who has the guts to do what he is doing at present.

I'm BA cabin crew and the above represent my personal views and not those of BA.

Last edited by Tiramisu; 9th Feb 2010 at 02:07. Reason: spelling