PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk VI
Old 8th Feb 2010, 20:16
SlideBustle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As another EF crewmember here

As another fellow EF crew member I can see both sides to the argument to the FMTP which is why it needs to be negotiated properly. Oh and just for the record I think the ''show of hands'' at last years meeting from BASSA was actually a show of hands after members were presented with the Unite counter proposal ''should we make any more concessions to BA'' which the unanimous answer was No. That is what I am lead to believe anyway as I didn't attend the meeting(s)

Our bidding system Carmen is not based on seniority (or I do not think it is anyway) I am relatively junior and I get good satisfaction most months. LGW it is based on seniority but with us it is 60% satisfaction target throughout. I think it's probably because of the wide variety of people at LHR who want all sorts to support their lifestyles ie.earlies, lates, there and backs, quicky there and backs, Band 4, nighstops, trips, 3 day 8s, 3 day 2s etc. which means satisfaction is most of the time achieved. As long as you are realistic!!

I think the FMTP COULD be a good thing, however pretty much alot of what ottergirl has said is right. I personally would love to bid for the shortest trips possible. Why don't I? Because of money, I mean it is only fair that someone who works longer and harder gets more money as that is the way of life. I suppose meal payments will remain though which is why I can also see what Hiflyer is saying. Ie. if you do a MAN there and back you trigger Breakfast payment. If you do the lunch dinner ATH you get Lunch ATH and Dinner UK. With FMTP you will both get the same fixed pay but if you do the ATH there and back (longer day) you still will get more meal allowances. Unfortunately though, there are some long days which only trigger 1 meal payment (TIP/KBP/LED etc) but they currently have long day payment. With the FMTP you will be getting the same fixed pay and the same meal allowance as someone doing a lunchtime MAN/CDG let's say. (Lunch is more than breakfast)

Maybe there is a solution to all this? Maybe they could average out variable pay for people who do long there and backs, Band 4 there and backs, short there and backs, 3 day trips etc, and then group them. If I bid for MAN there and backs one month I will get FMTP for short there and backs. I then bid for 3 day 8s next month and I get the FMTP for that. Thinking about that though that sounds awfully complicated and I don't know if it is missing the point, but I think obviously something needs to be negotiated to safeguard new fleet. Otherwise the worry of New Fleet stealing all our work could be reality!

As an aside, I was thinking, whilst alot of the Unite proposal is tosh (closing cabins to reinstate crewing levels lol) this FlexiFleet they talk about could be good. I had an idea the other day, how about recruiting new people for ''Mixed Flying'' they are trained in say A319/320/321, 777 and then either 787/A380 when they arrive however they fly alongside us, operate to our agreements (which have been modified slightly but we do NOT work to scheme!) whilst they are on the trip, however inbetween trips/duties they do operate to scheme with regards to MBTs, start times after days off, number of days off etc. But they have the same downroute rules on the trip (let's face it most of our agreements restrictions are inbetween trips anyway!) Don't know if that would be feasible or complicated but could be a win-win for all of us. Not too keen on the idea of us all working to scheme, a seperate New Fleet is what worries most people so it is a comprimise. Surely it would still save the company alot of money?