PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF L.A.M.E. jobs
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2010, 09:47
chockchucker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You want some LAME training? (or know somebody who wants LAME training?)

You might want to endure some short term pain (moving to Melbourne) to get fast-tracked to LAME status. There are six positions to fill, and I'll be extremely surprised if there are six 737 classis/NG EIR LAME's out there just sitting patiently to answer QF's call.

Line stations, it appears to me, seem to be purposely diluting LAME numbers in favour of AME's to work on the tarmac. The obvious agenda would seem to be the eventual introduction of LAME-less tarmacs (except for a few rovers) much like the Jetstar, Tiger, and Virgin (for the most part) operations. The Majority of Line LAME's may end up on permanent nightshift or base maintenance. A sad state of affairs but, to me, it's as plain as the nose on your face that QF wishes to go that way.

Good AME's (with all their basics) who left Melbourne Heavy for the promise of a 'better life' at line, have been deliberately not put on type courses or trained up to LAME status. Not so the case in Heavy recently with AME's with all (or even only most) their basics, being sent on 737NG training. So desparate has the situation become with the lack of LAME's and with the projected workload in the years ahead.

Heavy definitely isn't as glamorous as line. No doubt about it. However, if there are AME's working at QF hungry to be trained up to LAME status, a window of opportunity seems to currently exist at QF Tulla.

With, what I see, as the current QF management agenda to 'dumb down' line maintenance with more AME's and less LAME's, you may be waiting quite some time awaiting QF to gift you some type training. Especially if you're an AME employed at a line station on the eastern seaboard.

Some food for thought for you young wannabe Avionics LAME's.

Good Luck.