PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid Air collision over S Germany
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2002, 06:30
ioco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
information please

Hello,

I am new here. A very close family friend was on board one of the aircraft that went down in Germany on July 1rst and I am trying to get a few answers. I have asked this question in other forum's but have yet to get an answer that makes any sense so I am trying here.

I used to be a very frequent flyer on business and on many occasions (pre 9/11) was invited to the flight deck on many aircraft, on many airlines, and even had an opportunity to observe landings and take-offs.

On these occasions I learned a little bit, and one thing that made me feel very safe was what a little screen that showed other aircraft in the vicinity. You folks have an acronym for it but I can't remeber what it is called. I remember one Captain telling me that it was adjustable, and could be tuned for various distances from the aircraft. You used a longer range when at altitude, and a closer range on approach.

If the two aircraft had this gizmo set to maximum range - how much notice (in distance or time) would they have received from this on-board anti-collision equipment.

Thanks for your help.