PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Human rights at Qatar Airways
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2010, 20:13
mperic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Human rights at Qatar Airways

In this letter I would like to inform you about the situation at Qatar Airways company.
When I started working at Qatar Airways it was an airline company with only a few airplanes. It developed very fast into a very large and respectable airline company.
In the beginning I used to think that the company prospered due to the effort of the chief Executive Officer Mr Akbar Al Baker and I was proud to work for the company led by such an efficient CEO. But I was wrong.
In the course of time I found out that working for this company is not at all happy solution for the people employed here.
When I left Qatar Airways and got a job in another airline company I realized what a mobbing there had been at QA. I keep asking myself how and why I had tolerated it.
Now I can go to work gladly at last with no fear and with a smile on my face.
I am telling you this with a sincere wish to stop mobbing at QA, because most people leave it with bitter feelings. It can spoil the reputation of the country in the world, for people employed at QA come from all continents and nowadays news spread quickly thanks to internet.
With great fantasy and imagination they violate human rights, dignity and integrity of a person systematically. They do this in a lot of ways, such as:
- fear of being punished or sacked
- excessive control and spying
- overloaded tme-tables ( too many hours of flying for the airplane crew which can endanger people's health and the security of flying)
- demanding passive obedience and humility
- blackmailing
- national intolerance
- even sexual mobbing
- withholding some small things such as blankets, high-quality water, juices e.
- t. c.
- deciding even about love matters between two persons (can you imagine that?)
And finally, when you have had enough of maltreating and decide to leave or are dismissed by him, you can never come back because this gentleman puts your name on the list of unwanted persons, although you do not know why. I wonder taht this can happen anywhere else.
These are only some of the things going on at QA. The question is why some of the subordinates put up with the mobbing. Maybe they are afraid of being subjected to mobbing themselves or they are too weak to contradict.
Especially painful has been the relation to the workers coming from the poorest counties. These people have paid a lot of money for travelling to Qatar and they have been indebted with the hope that they will soon earn and pay back the money thy owe. Young people come to a rich country hoping to help their poor families. But even after a very short time they get sacked because of some small and stupid mistakes. They have to go back home even poorer, more humiliated and with less money than before.
When I was leaving QA I did not get my last salary and the amount of one salary for each year spent at QA. On internet I met a lot of people who were employed at QA, cleaners as well as pilot instructors. They were forced to leave QA without getting their earned money. I cannot understand why they do not pay the money to their ex-workers, who had spent a part of their life working honestly. This can jeorpadize the respectability of the airline company, because people go away with sad and bitter feelings.
I do not like the idea that the money withheld from the poorest workers and those with the lowest wages goes into his pockets. Where is that money? Maybe there should be a better control of book-keeping at QA! As many people have left QA and almost daily somebody is sacked or people quit and just go away, I think their money must be somewhere. If they write letters asking about it, they never get any answers and they cannot come to the country again, because they are forbidden to return.
I could write even more about what has been going on at your airline company, but I think this will do. I hope somebody will do something about it, not because of myself but because of Qatar and its reputation.
If you put a more human person at the head of your respectable company, it would be the best thing to do.
This letter will be sent to several addresses and I hope that at least somebody will read it through and not just throw it away.
I am not going to sign my name, because I fear that some of my former friends at QA might get into trouble because of their friendship with me. I am really very sorry that this country, which is so dear to me, there are lots of people suffering the excessive mobbing, which they should not. If somebody takes my letter seriously and checks my statements, I am ready to introduce myself personally.