PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish airliner crashes at Schiphol
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2010, 10:00
BOAC
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Given that this is an open forum and all inputs should be allowed (subject to moderation), why not cut SFLY a little slack here? I have to say his/her responses have been pretty moderate considering the odour that is being thrown.

Many people seem to be obsessed with the obvious conclusion that the crew screwed up, and that all us macho pilots should regularly and routinely accept anything ATC throw at them, just get on with it, silk scarves flying, and that's the end of it.

NO! That is not the end of it. IF (nb the capitals) the vectoring for this crew was outwith the regulations that does have a bearing on the accident (the Swiss cheese?).

We need to look at all the facets of this and all accidents - and PJ's points are most vaild too - as we are moving rapidly towards an aviation period of far less experience of this 'macho' flying that we have had since the Wright Brothers.

Talking Swiss cheeses, I am not aware of having loads of 'above G/S' ILS intercepts at GVA - a few, maybe in probably over 100 approaches. Maybe I just had the energy levels sorted out?