PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish airliner crashes at Schiphol
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2010, 15:50
overthewing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Schiphol part of the problem?

As someone who's usually found in 14a, waiting for my bag of peanuts, I have nothing useful to contribute to a technical analysis of the accident.

However, having followed this affair at a respectful distance, I'm struck by something that never quite makes it to the level of proper discussion. Pilots consistently comment on the nature of Schiphol ATC as being crisp, hyper-efficient, and expecting equal efficiency on the part of the pilot. There's an implication that flight crew are routinely asked to accept instructions demanding a level of skill that perhaps pushes them out of their comfort zone.

Is this the case? If so, does it put pressure on pilots to accept slightly scary, non-standard instructions, in order not to look like wimps? In a macho profession like flying (with apologies to female flight crew), are there likely to be a number of pilots who'll attempt to do things that are really taking them beyond their work-load capacity, for fear of losing face in front of all the other guys?