PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Cruise FO: Accepting Interest...
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2010, 08:43
The Bunglerat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been out of GA for a few years now, but a combination of circumstance and too much free time found me at a GA airfield earlier today. Basically I was in the area, so thought I would pop in and reminisce about the old days.

Turns out it was less reminiscing, and more cold shudders at the miserable sight I beheld. Can't say I ever enjoyed GA all that much to begin with, but it was still gut-wrenching to catch up with some hard-working, dedicated drivers who are simply doing whatever they can to climb the greasy pole. Just when I start getting disenchanted with terms and conditions at my place of employment, an afternoon with these guys certainly put me back in my place, and made me remember that I'm not better than them - just luckier.

As an airline pilot, I think the V-Oz conditions are disgraceful, but it's easy for me to say that from the perspective of someone who already flies for an airline. On the other hand, some poor bugger getting paid peanuts, flying a clapped-out, questionably unsafe piston-engine bugsmasher, may simply be unable to make that distinction - and I don't think it's fair for us to pass judgment on them as a consequence. Or in other words, it's about not criticising someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes first - and whilst most of us have at some time in our career worn those very same shoes, I daresay it was such a long time ago for some that they've simply forgotten how bad it was.

If I was stuck in GA and had the option to step up to the majors - even if just for a pissy Cruise F/O slot - I can see how it would make for a compelling argument. Thankfully I don't have to consider it, but I bear no ill will towards those who do.