PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Cruise FO: Accepting Interest...
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2010, 23:23
an3_bolt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Because they have no choice. Thats why! Have a good look around GA, it's a joke generally speaking.
There are plenty of choices and opportunities out there. Get out there and look for them - think outside the square. Thinking that you must have an airline job where HQ is in Brisbane or Sydney is extremely nieve. Use your brain..... plenty of fun to be had through out the world..... living O/S can be great if your into it - or ever heard of commuting to work?

The bloody airline types just don't remember where they came from or just don't care.
Good try - but off the mark. You will find that most know where they came from and the experiences that they went through are still as fresh as the day thet they occured - from washing the bosses car through to scaring the living bejesus out of yourself on that dark stormy single engine IFR night freight (...or please insert similar...). Some have fond memories of GA - some do not.

Of course not all airline pilots are ex GA - there are some ex RAAF, and some who went through a cadet program - so in that regard you are 100% correct. I would suggest that they are in the minority however.

Personally - I chose to go overseas to get turbine time and then overseas again to get an airline job. Best thing I ever did for my own personal development and career. But that is the choice that I made instead of whinging and resigning myself to mediocrity. Just gotta get out there and find the best "global" business opportunity.

Reality is that you will probably have to pack and move to find any descent job in aviation. Suck it up and get out there guys....but I do know that working for $59,000 odd on a 777 is pure exploitation - go work in a coffee shop instead If you want a pay rise - go work on the Sydney trains as a guard....put another $20,000 with shift penalties on top of the 777 job......