PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish airliner crashes at Schiphol
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2010, 21:21
lederhosen

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Come on guys I am with Hetfield on this one! This was demonstrably one of the worst examples of airmanship in recent years. We can philosophise about inept management and imperfect aircraft systems design for ever.

At the end of the day a training captain in what is right now probably europe's fastest growing national carrier (Istanbul THY's base is technically in Europe if not the EU) managed to crash a perfectly flyable aircraft.

PEI 3721 says that two of the crew were being trained. Perhaps I have it wrong, but I understood that there was an experienced safety FO on the jump seat.

Teaching new FOs to recover from a hot and high approach is standard stuff in my airline. However there is a point where you throw it away and go around. Trial and error has indentified this point as 1000 feet in IMC.

This is not even a particularly good example of economics dumbing things down. Turkish requires all their pilots to be graduates and as I understand it can afford to be pretty selective at least in their market. The total hours and flying experience in the cockpit are unlikely to have been the problem.

Much as we may all chafe at the concept of rules and regulations, FOQA systems and safety pilots are there for a good reason, despite what we might think we learnt about airmanship on a dark and windy night in a turboprop.

Nothing like a good debate on Pprune (and this is nothing like it)!