PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish airliner crashes at Schiphol
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2010, 14:41
fireflybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BarbiesBoyfriend, I agree.

If you have very experienced and skilful pilots you could publish an Operations Manual which, in effect, says "Stay safe - don't crash!". Of course before SFLY jumps in that doesn't mean they are perfect and cannot make a mistake.

If you have inexperienced and/or less trained/skilful pilot then you have to pack the Ops Manual with all sorts of stuff - what I jokingly call the "MacDonalds" approach to aviation - "Put the chips here for 5 mins, add the burger..etc". This is all fine and dandy until the fat fryer breaks down or catches fire and nobody knows what to do!

Of course SOPS are vital for safe continued operation but, in my opinion, there is a difference between doing "things right" and doing the "right thing". One of the basics is that somebody should always be "minding the shop" - remember the Tristar in the Everglades? All crew members got involved in a relatively minor problem and they ended up CFIT.

SFLY I do understand where you are coming from and we all, I am sure, have the same objective. It's just how we go about it. It's just a fact of life that sometimes you might have to intercept the GS from above - if you're not happy ask for more track miles and/or Go Around!