PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Experienced controllers going to Spain?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2010, 11:48
andrijander

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not an aviator myself but a spanish ATC...that doesn't work in Spain.

Not that long ago I was Flying to NYC. Landing was a bit weird and when asking "how come we made a 90º turn seconds before landing?" I was told that was THE landing. I find it difficult to grasp that an airport such as JFK has a procedure as such to land...it seems more like tales of old times. But still happens nowadays in what should be some of the most advanced airspace in the world.

I can't recall the name of the approach but I believe it to be PAWLING 2. Anyways, you basically have to point the nose towards a RESIDENTIAL hill, and try an acquire visually a path formed by flashing lights. There's 2 paths, with different interval flashing lights each, for 2 different runways. When performed at night you also have to keep in mind that there are street lights and home's lights in between (don't get confused with those). And if you do all that right you're performing a 90º turn 1 mile from the threshold...scary enough if you ask me.

So, I can't say that the quality of ATC in Spain is better or worse than anywhere else but I can say that, from my limited experience with the American way of doing things, the yanks way does raise some eyebrows.

A.