PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Medicals and Illicit Substances
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2010, 06:08
Assailant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Medicals and Illicit Substances

To the flyers of PPrune,

I have a somewhat unusual and blatantly obvious question.....

I'm commencing flight training later in the year (rotary CPL). I'm hoping to get my medical sorted out ASAP, mainly to be sure I have no underlying conditions which could ground me before I move interstate to train.

Now here's where it gets interesting. I have been informed that the Class 1 Med I need to obtain does involve blood/urine tests. I wondered what the outcome would be if any illicit substance was detected in either sample? Perhaps more specifically, marijuana.... Is this grounds to be deemed non-airworthy and automatically fail the medical - even if I'm fit and healthy and everything else is 100% fine?

I have searched on several forums for the answer and all I find is a lot of people bashing the poster for being a mutant druggo. My case is that I was in Amsterdam last week and indulged in one of the local customs.... I don't need to be told not to consider flying as a career because I have tried drugs. Obviosuly they don't mix, and I would never argue the opposite (as with alcohol, even though that seems to be accepted as fine...) - but hey, we are all young and stupid once

So please, if anyone has any insight into this I would very much appreciate replies. I can hold off for a couple of months for the medical if need be, but I just figured it may not be an issue anyway? It certainly hasn't had any effect upon my ability to do anything else....

Thanks everyone,

Jack